In the center of a brick plaza in the middle
of the Roosevelt Island sits the Chapel of
the Good Shepherd. The Chapel is
characterized by a multicolor effect
produced by mixed use of brick and stone and
stained-glass windows. It was built by
Frederick Clarke Withers in 1889 to serve
the residents of the many Welfare Island
almshouses that were constructed for New
York's destitute in the 1850s. Withers'
mentor, who brought him from England to
America, was the man credited with
envisioning a "New York Park" which would
become Central Park.
The Chapel of the Good Shepherd was restored
in 1975 and is now primarily a community